Re: installation oddities

In summary, this is not a bug at all, but a deliberate design decision,
that makes debconf a lot more powerful, at the expense of not letting it
try to go in and make the kind of fool-hardy modifications to a
possibly-corrupted debconf database which you are suggesting.

Well, it is a "feature" then. A feature that broke my installation
for three weeks. It is that much time, in fact, that I have been
unable to install software. I am not saying that that is the cause,
I am saying that my reported bugs were bug indeed, and the solution
was to actually type in by hand all the missing entries.

-- Bob