Re: nice console res with platinum

On  12 Aug, this message from Steven Hanley echoed through cyberspace:
> Anyone know how to get a good console res, such as 128x48 or something with
> the platinum card in an oldworld. There doesnt seem to be an explicit fb
> driver for the platinum

Yes there is: platinumfb. Have a look under
drivers/video/platinumfb[c,h]

> so I cant do something like
> append="video=atyfb:vmode:12", when I try that line with no atyfb: it just
> ignores the vmode:12 and comes up in 80x25.

That would rather be:

append="video=platinumfb:vmode:12"

but you better check the source to see whether platinum accepts command
lines, and whether res switching is implemented there. It could also be
a problem (maybe depending on lernel version) with calling the
platinumfb's option parsing function from generic framebuffer code.
IIRC, that bit of code was missing at some point in time.

You can have a look at the command line of your current kernel (to check
whether specifying append=.. worked) via:

cat /proc/cmdline

That doesn't say anything if the option _worked_, though....

Finally, your best bet is switching to the desired resolution in MacOS.

> Also is X accelerated with the platinum in any release? Maybe 3.3.6?

No Apple framebuffer (platinum, valkyrie, control) is accelerated. The
hardware is basically dumb; just a flat framebuffer (except for the
unsupported hardware cursor).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |