Re: yaboot/openfirmware question [again]

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 08:51:47PM +0200, pejvan wrote:

> > > thats why i need as much info as possible from your machine to try and
> > > figure out what games OSX is playing to cause these problems.  your
> > > not the first to report fsckage and search-and-destroy-GNU-OSes type
> > > behavior from installing OSX.

> > > mkofboot will repair any such damage.  1.2.4 (in debian sid now) will
> > > even zero out the first 800K of the bootstrap partition to be sure.
> > >
> > > but please send me output from:
> > >
> > > mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda
> > > nvsetenv
> > > mkofboot -f 2>&1
> > > /etc/yaboot.conf
> > >
> > > only with this info can i even begin to guess what is wrong.  my guess
> > > is apple screwed around with the partition ordering, or changed the
> > > type of the bootstrap partition to break it, either of those is
> > > fixable with mac-fdisk and parted.  or if your bootstrap partition is
> > > Apple_HFS instead of the correct Apple_Bootstrap it is probably
> > > getting corrupted by MacOS/X
> >
> > OK i just checked, and it seems my bootstrap type has been changed to
> > Apple_HFS, so changing the type of this to Apple_Boostrap should fix
> > everything ?

yup probably will. Apple_HFS is visable to MacOS, and macos very
thoroughly inspects any blessed directories to ensure they are real
MacOS, if not it renders them unbootable.  It cannot do this with
Apple_Bootstrap partitions since it cannot mount them.
Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 08:51:47PM +0200, pejvan wrote:

> > > thats why i need as much info as possible from your machine to try and
> > > figure out what games OSX is playing to cause these problems.  your
> > > not the first to report fsckage and search-and-destroy-GNU-OSes type
> > > behavior from installing OSX.

> > > mkofboot will repair any such damage.  1.2.4 (in debian sid now) will
> > > even zero out the first 800K of the bootstrap partition to be sure.
> > >
> > > but please send me output from:
> > >
> > > mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda
> > > nvsetenv
> > > mkofboot -f 2>&1
> > > /etc/yaboot.conf
> > >
> > > only with this info can i even begin to guess what is wrong.  my guess
> > > is apple screwed around with the partition ordering, or changed the
> > > type of the bootstrap partition to break it, either of those is
> > > fixable with mac-fdisk and parted.  or if your bootstrap partition is
> > > Apple_HFS instead of the correct Apple_Bootstrap it is probably
> > > getting corrupted by MacOS/X
> >
> > OK i just checked, and it seems my bootstrap type has been changed to
> > Apple_HFS, so changing the type of this to Apple_Boostrap should fix
> > everything ?
>
> yup probably will. Apple_HFS is visable to MacOS, and macos very
> thoroughly inspects any blessed directories to ensure they are real
> MacOS, if not it renders them unbootable.  It cannot do this with
> Apple_Bootstrap partitions since it cannot mount them.

ok thanks a lot, I did not knew about all this. Can I ask a question
that has nothing to do with the bootstrap ? ;) Can you give me some URLs
about how to initialize the Mac's hardware in order to boot OSes ? (I
mean programmers docs, for example how to write something like yaboot,
to boot a non Apple OS)

> btw the easiest way to fix that type is apt-get install parted  then
> run:
>
> parted /dev/hda set 9 boot on
>
> where 9 is the partition number of your bootstrap partition.

OK thanks, it seems I cannot do this with pdisk anyway...
and nothing can be done under MacOS ?

'cause I dont have the debian isos whith me, and I cannot download
anything... so no apt-get for me :-((((( A friend told me he can give a
his mandrakePPC bootable CDs, is there a way to fix my problem with that
disc ?

thanks

Pejvan