Re: Debian on new ibook dual USB: Net Install

On  15 Aug, this message from Sven echoed through cyberspace:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 03:50:51PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
>> > I booted the installation system that I downloaded from sourgeforge [1]
>> > using yaboot, everyting went fine, till I tried to install the rest of
>> > the system over the net. It claimed
>> >
>> > Unknown PHY ID (forgot the number).
>> >
>> > It seems, debian does not recognise the ethernet adapter of the ibook. Is
>> > there a updated installation system? Do you have any other ideas,
>> > how to install debian on a new iBook?
>>
>> I put the debian-imac package together a few months ago (end of April to be
>> precise). I don't remember seeing any changes to the 2.2.19 kernel in that
>> time, which might incorporate your card. OTOH, in
>>
>> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-powerpc/current/pow
>> ermac/
>>
>> I see the linux kernel image is dated 10-Jul-2001 13:45
>> so maybe it's more up to date. If just substituting that kernel solves the
>> problem, let me know and I'll update the debian-imac archive.
>>
>> If not, and I suspect it won't, then perhaps the card is supported in the
>> 2.4 series kernels (I read on this list that rsync'ing the benh kernel is
>> the way to go.) Maybe you could build the kernel on the iMac, and transfer
>> it to the iBook?
>>
>> Another line of attack might be using modprobe to determine what chip the
>> card is using -- btw I'm way out of my league here. Perhaps someone else on
>> the list has an idea.
>
> scanpci or lspci would be more adequate here, but still, i guess using a 2.4.x
> kernel would be an easier way to solve this, or maybe a newer 2.2.x, where the
> driver has been back ported to.

Folks, this is not about the Ethernet _chip_ as you would see it on the
PCI bus; that one is supported alright (GMAC, I believe). It's about the
PHY chip, which provides the interface between the Ethernet chip and the
100BaseT line. PHY for physical....

That problem with the PHY chip was hitting the TiBook also; can the
original author resend the exact number? IIRC BenH added the TiBook PHY
chip to his kernels; so 2.4 should work for sure (I'd be amazed if Apple
used yet another PHY chip on the new IBook.... especially since the
TiBook's is brand new)

Also, on the TiBook, ethernet was working halfway even though the PHY
chip was marked 'unsupported'... So you might want to try a bit harder
to get ethernet working nevertheless.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |