Re: Choosing which 2.4 kernel tree to use for OldWorld

On  13 Aug, this message from Mike Fedyk echoed through cyberspace:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 09:25:29AM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>> What kernel is recommended for use on the tibook?  I've currently got
>> 2.4.7 from mvista, and the kerboard is hosed and the hardware clock
>> doesn't work.
>>

> Let me ask this question also, but for oldworld machines, specifically,
> 7200, 6500, and oldworld g3.
>
> Will kernel.org ppc 2.4 kernels be ok for these systems?  The systems I
> would be running would mostly be headless routers, file & print servers, and such.

Either kernel.org 2.2 tree, or the bk or benh 2.4 trees. 2.4 kernel.org
isn't ready yet.

If you want to keep your servers running quietly in a corner without
touching them, 2.2 might be your best bet. Since you will not need all
the fancy new hardware support in 2.4, 2.2 is your best stable solution.
It's a bit slower than 2.4, but that shouldn't matter for your use.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |