Re: installation on g4

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 04:43:45PM +0200, Martin Breidung wrote:

> sorry, they ARE Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partitions, i didn't remember the correct
> name, so i wrote swap and native.. but they aren't recognized by install...

we are going to have to see a dump of your partition table then
mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda > /fdisk.dump

if your using woody boot-floppies just run the `report a problem' step
and send the tarball to the list (or me privatly perhaps to not spam
everyone with an attachment).

> >if you use the `c' not `C' command for creating the linux ext2/swap
> >partitions you wont have any problems with types being wrong.
>
> i did so except BootStrap partition... there i didn't know the according
> unix-term like swap or root...

you have to be careful to create this one correctly, again woody
boot-floppies are superior by providing a `b' command in mac-fdisk to
do this correctly.

please read http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

> i've tried on 6,4gb ibm, but the partitions aren't recognized by install...
> so i take cfdisk... but if i understand you right there are no reasons that
> this didn't work with any ide disks, so i wipe out cfdisk partition and try
> anew...

cfdisk partitions will NOT work.  you must use mac-fdisk.

please use woody boot-floppies and run the `report a problem' step and
send us the tarball, you will need an NFS server for this.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/