Re: BenH TiBook kernels @ debian.jones.dk

On 22 Jul 2001 20:22:35 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

(Hi Jonas btw!)

> > > - FireWire (IEEE 1394)
> >
> > My current tree contains partially working firewire. I can mount
> > SBP2 hard disks and use them without trouble using an LSI-logic
> > based disk. Some users reported either working or non-working
> > disks depending, apparently, on the chipset they are based on.
> >
> > CD burning over firewire tends to lockup the kernel. This is still
> > beeing investigated.
>
> I haven't got any FW devices myself. My brother has a Sony DV camera, and
> some other friends has a harddrive. Tell me what you'd like me to test
> next time I get close to the equipment.

I am possibly going to get an external firewire harddisk, anyone know if
those larger ones work without an external power supply? I know the
LaCie pocketdrive 30GB can work with the power from the FW plug, but
those 60GB ones would be even more interesting. They all cost quite
lots, so I'd rather like to get a bigger one for the same money :) And
external powersupply kind of defeats the whole idea of firewire disk on
a laptop..

I tried dvgrab to get video from my digital video camera, but it didnt
seem to work at all, I got nothing out of it. But I had heard it doesnt
work on ppc anyway yet, so I didnt poke on it too much. But if there are
people hacking on the drivers, I can test stuff with a Canon DV camera
if needed.

> > > - PC-card (what once was called PCMCIA and noone realized the namechange)
> >
> > PC-Card works. The name change is old, PCMCIA is really a deprecated
> > name since years ;)
>
> Ah - I am compiling with David Hinds' pcmcia-cs right now (discovered that
> it seems to actually compile with 2.4 - geee, it have been a long time ago
> I tested this...)

I think one needed some kernel patch a while ago to get the pc card
bridge chip recognized, is it now included in the kernel tree?

I have tried with the kernel PCMCIA modules, but they dont seem to work
for me, does one really need the PCMCIA-CS stuff still now that the
PCMCIA drivers are in the kernel too? Are they alternative or what? The
pcmcia thing I am using is a SmartMedia flash card reader. I once got it
working with the kernel patch for 2.2.x, and the PPC patch for pcmcia +
some other hackery, but it all got lost when I switched to 2.4. So, if
you get this working, let me know how you did it, and what
patches/sources you used.. :) I have the pismo though, but it might work
the same way.
Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert@ximian.com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::