Re: BenH TiBook kernels @ debian.jones.dk

On 22 Jul 2001, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> I am possibly going to get an external firewire harddisk, anyone know if
> those larger ones work without an external power supply? I know the
> LaCie pocketdrive 30GB can work with the power from the FW plug, but
> those 60GB ones would be even more interesting. They all cost quite
> lots, so I'd rather like to get a bigger one for the same money :) And
> external powersupply kind of defeats the whole idea of firewire disk on
> a laptop..

At work we have 2 external i.Link drives[*]. One 80 GB Maxtor and one 40 GB
LaCie. The LaCie has a builtin power supply, while the much smaller (form
factor) Maxtor has an external PS. But both need external power.

I guess the pocketdrives use less power-hungry 2.5" notebook hard drives, so
I'm afraid 30 GB is about the currently available maximum.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

[*] I work for Sony, so I call them i.Link :-)

							    -- Linus Torvalds