Re: BenH TiBook kernels @ debian.jones.dk

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >This doesn't work currently:
> > - AirPort and gmac wakeup (doesn't crash at sleep, but need to poke
> >around at wakeup to reinit network)
>
> This should work properly with my recent trees. It works at least
> on my Pismo which has a very similar chipset to the TiPbook

That's true - I tried it out just after posting my last mail (getting
aware that it was actually some time ago I last time checked which bugs
you've squeezed recently :-)

> > - Sleep from the console
>
> That should be fixed too

You are right! Great!

The kernel pukes on the terminal - nothing alarming, except the following
right before falling asleep (or so I believe, it is just below AirPort
going to sleep):

ALSA pmac.c:892: error 2

Here's a cutout from the ALSA source at that point:

----- BEGIN alsa-driver-0.9+0beta4-5/lowlevel/ppc/pmac.c -----
snd_pmac_ctrl_intr(int irq, void *devid, struct pt_regs *regs)
{
	pmac_t *chip = snd_magic_cast(pmac_t, devid, return);
	int ctrl = in_le32(&chip->awacs->control);

	if (ctrl & MASK_PORTCHG) {
		/* do something when headphone is plugged/unplugged? */
		if (chip->port_change)
			chip->port_change(chip);
	}
	if (ctrl & MASK_CNTLERR) {
		int err = (in_le32(&chip->awacs->codec_stat) & MASK_ERRCODE) >> 16;
		if (err && !chip->is_burgundy)
			snd_printk("error %x\n", err);
	}
	/* Writing 1s to the CNTLERR and PORTCHG bits clears them... */
	out_le32(&chip->awacs->control, ctrl);
}
----- BEGIN alsa-driver-0.9+0beta4-5/lowlevel/ppc/pmac.c -----

> > - FireWire (IEEE 1394)
>
> My current tree contains partially working firewire. I can mount
> SBP2 hard disks and use them without trouble using an LSI-logic
> based disk. Some users reported either working or non-working
> disks depending, apparently, on the chipset they are based on.
>
> CD burning over firewire tends to lockup the kernel. This is still
> beeing investigated.

I haven't got any FW devices myself. My brother has a Sony DV camera, and
some other friends has a harddrive. Tell me what you'd like me to test
next time I get close to the equipment.

> > - IrDA
>
> That one probably need some work to power up properly the IR LED on
> those recent machines (we only have code for older boxes).

Anything I can do (you'll have to instruct me, I don't grok C, just patch
your stuff together. I can test against Laserprinters, PalmPilots and
cellphones (Nokia 8210, Motorla WorldPhone, Ericsson (the first flat one
with wap)).

> > - PC-card (what once was called PCMCIA and noone realized the namechange)
>
> PC-Card works. The name change is old, PCMCIA is really a deprecated
> name since years ;)

Ah - I am compiling with David Hinds' pcmcia-cs right now (discovered that
it seems to actually compile with 2.4 - geee, it have been a long time ago
I tested this...)

> > - CD sound output
>
> That is not supported in HW for any new machine. The analog output of
> the CD drive is not connected to any sound input on the motherboard, you
> have to extract the audio datas from the CD using something like cdparanoia
> or whatever xmms plugin works, and send that to the sound driver.

Too bad - then I really need to work on my old Vaio again - I am packaging
an mp3 jukebox and need to test access to the cd driver...

 - Jonas

--
Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> http://dr.jones.dk/~jonas/ +45 40843136
Spiff ApS (aka. IT-guide dr. Jones ApS) <dr@jones.dk> http://dr.jones.dk/