Re: basic mac os newbie questions

> > but I don't have a floppy drive :/
>
> use cd...
Or use Floppy Images...
> I don't have linux working yet, I still have to get mac os on there
> so i can boot it.
And it will probably have to remain that way, too, since your 1400 doesn't
have Open Firmware on it. Check http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net for details
on getting you machine up and running...
> Basically it's possible to have only debian or any other linux on a
> ppc and boot. It is possible as well to have both macos and linux on
> one HD and boot in one of both as you like...
Not true. You can have a dual boot machine with one HD, you just have to have
MacOS do all the initial partitioning, creating one partition for Linux that
you will later subdivide into what you need, and a partition for the MacOS...

> You'll need to read http://cdimages.debian.org esp. FAQ for basic
> information on building debian-cd-images.
Basically, you won't be able to build a CD image in the MacOS because of the
31 character limit on file names.
> > As a side note, while i'm typing, does anyone know just how to mount a cd
> > in the internal cd drive on a powerbook 1400?
While you're in the MacOS? Or do you mean in Linux? But I thought your
problem was that you haven't made it to Linux yet...
> You should be able to boot from CD while pressing the "c"-key after
> reboot or start-up.

Hope this helps.

Russell