Re: basic mac os newbie questions

Hello Phil!

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 08:18:00PM -0500, Phil Frost wrote:
> I'm tring to install debian on my laptop here,

Good idea...

> but I don't have a floppy drive :/

use cd...

I don't have linux working yet, I still have to get mac os on there
> so i can boot it.

Basically it's possible to have only debian or any other linux on a
ppc and boot. It is possible as well to have both macos and linux on
one HD and boot in one of both as you like...

I have a disk image I need to mount, only the disk copy that
> comes with mac os 8.0 is too damn stupid to let me mount it because this
> image is on a cd i burnt on my other computer, a winblows machine, so the
> stupid file type is wrong. I'm wondering if there is some way to dell the damn
> program "YES I WANT TO MOUNT THE DAMN THING" or to change the file type.

You'll need to read http://cdimages.debian.org esp. FAQ for basic
information on building debian-cd-images.

> As a side note, while i'm typing, does anyone know just how to mount a cd in
> the internal cd drive on a powerbook 1400?

You should be able to boot from CD while pressing the "c"-key after
reboot or start-up.

--
mfg

Georg Koss