Boot problems

Hi, I'm unable to boot the Debian 2.2r3 installation on my Titanium Powerbook.
I've tried booting from CD and HD, with slightly different results:

- CD Boot -
In Open Firmware, I issued:

--8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 > boot cd:,\\yaboot
-->8------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yaboot came up with the following:

--8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to yaboot version 0.6
Wrong partition 1 signature
Config file read, 483 bytes
Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (potato)
boot: _
-->8------------------------------------------------------------------------

After typing the image name, this:

--8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrong partition 1 signature
Wrong partition 1 signature
xxxx another line I couldn't see quick enough xxxx
-->8------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a splitsecond the screen went white, then black, displaying in a larger
Font:

--8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.2.17

started at       : 0x01000000
linked at        : 0xc0000000
frame buffer at  : 0xb6008000 (phys), 0xb6008000 (log)
MSR              : 0x00003030
HID0             : 0x8014c0a4

booting...
-->8------------------------------------------------------------------------

After that, nothing except for a second of HDD activity I think.

- HD Boot -
I used the Debian-imac archive as advertised in the installation instructions,
prepared everything as described, this time telling Open Firmware:

--8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 > boot hd:9,yaboot
-->8------------------------------------------------------------------------

This time the yaboot messages went away quickly, but as I could see they were
nothing unusual. After that the screen went white again, like in Open
Firmware, and the top two rows displayed in black:

--8<------------------------------------------------------------------------
... ok
opening display /pci@f0000000/ATY,RageM3p12Parent@10/ATY,RageM3p12B_

I heard a few accesses to the hard drive, then nothing. No reaction to
keypresses.

I hope anyone can help me with this. Thanks in advance,
Sven M. Hallberg <pesco@gmx.de>

PS: Please CC replies to me, I'm not on the list.

--
"Would the All-Seeing Eye please look in my direction?"
 [ KeyID........: 0xC297FEAB ]