Re: Thanks Ibook

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:56:43AM +0200, fistro wrote:
> More Problems:
> I want to complile one kernel for the ibook, it's necesary one
> patch?.I've compile much kernels for i386,but never for ppc.Is the same
> ???
> I usually do: make dep && make clean && make bzimage && make modules &&
> make modules_install

use kernel-package.

if not, bzImage is a i386 specific kludge to workaround that shitty
archetecture's fundementally flawed design.  everywhere else in the
computing world zImage means compressed kernel image (of one form or
another) and vmlinux means just the plain uncompressed ELF binary.  on
powermac the only one of use is vmlinux.  zImage will create some
images that are directly bootable via OF, but you need to use a
bootloader anyway and all powerpc bootloaders understand is vmlinux.

> then I usually make bzdisk for probe the new kernel, but I have not

i386 specific kludge.

> floppy in the Ibook
> Can I do bzlilo?

no

> Other:
> Which kernel is stable for ppc ?

ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/linux-2.2.19.tar.bz2

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/