[OT] .NET (was: Re: JAVA on DebianPPC)

jtv wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 01:08:31PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
<snip>

>> This leaves you free to create derivates, but means that you can't pollute
>>  the standard.
>>

> Going by what little I've seen of C#, Eiffel# etc., Microsoft now
> seems to have gone this way, calling their version of the Java
> vision and runtime .NET and claiming to support a bunch of
> programming languages that had  already been ported to the JVM
> anyway.
>
> Of course those "supported" languages were castrated to fit a
> JVM-like  model and have lost some of their best features, but
> let's not get into  that...

Right, nice FUD here. Usually it's the other way around... Read the FAQ on go-mono.com and on http://www.southern-storm.com.au/portable_net.html

C# is a language on its own, which has as much to do with C as C++ does. Other languages are wrapped using the CLI (Common Language Interface), they're not a different language (same syntax, different standard library and system calls, just like when you use bindings, but at a lower-level). And programs can either be compiled native, or in a bytecode that could run in a JIT, the JVM approach having been dismissed.

And better stop talking about this on this list.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net