Re: package management

Hello!

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 11:15:14PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> Well, the problem with upgrading one or two packages is that you run into
> dependencies problems: if you upgrade something simple, but it requires a new
> version of a library that isn't quite compatible with an older library that
> some other non-upgraded software depends on, you've got problems.

That's a reasonable concern - but you asked ....

> On Thursday 19 July 2001 22:56, Kevin van Haaren wrote:
> > I run stable on my box, but i want one or two packages from testing.
> > What's the best way to maintain this kind of setup?  Currently I use
> > dselect to get any updates/security releases to packages.

So you want to leave stable ...

> > Am I correct in assuming that if I just list testing in my
> > sources.list the next time i run dselect it'll want to upgrade all
> > the packages I have installed (that have upgrades available)?

I think it would be possible to mix for instance if you work with two
different /etc/apt/sources.list, one for stable and one for testing
(only one at a time named sources.list would be active). A good idea
would be to get deeper in apt-get's and dpkg's usage (see man-pages).
Do apt-get update every time after a change of sources.list.
But as mentioned before, be careful, I messed up my installation in
former days that way };().

Cheers

--
mfg