Re: FEEDBACK WANTED: What to do about XF86Config-4 BusID?

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 02:22:57AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I got a head on my G3 tonight and ate some of my own dog food as far as the
> X server goes.
>
> Linux redwald 2.2.18pre21 #1 Mon Nov 20 21:18:03 EST 2000 ppc unknown
> xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-0pre1v5
>
> It has a Rage 128 RE.  A BusID was mandatory, and my debconf questions
> don't handle that yet.  Having UseFBDev on or off seemed to be harmless
> either way.
>
> The keyboard was no problem since I answered "macintosh_old" to the
> keyboard question.  No problems with a cordless Logitech WheelMouse,
> either.
>
> Basically, the server worked to my satisfaction (though I did not test DRI)
> except for this BusID business, and I wanted to solicit opinions on what to
> do about it.
>
> It looks like the best thing I can do is:
>
> 1) add a BusID question to the templates
> 2) add the following logic to the .config script:
>      (this is psuedocode, don't sweat the syntax, please)
>
> if arch == powerpc:
> 	FOO=$(lspci | grep VGA)
> 	switch (wc -l $FOO)
> 		case 0: probably bail since we can't find a video card
> 		case 1: cut the bus:slot.func parts out and convert each of
> 			them to decimal, then auto-answer the BusID
> 			question with this info
> 		case >1: actually ask the question, making the user specify
> 			 BusID manually
>
> 3) dexconf would then write out the value of the BusID template if and only
>    if the architecture is powerpc.

Note, the busid thingy is also usefull on non ppc boxes. Especially for
multi-function devices. I admit they are not that common, but still it would
be nice to have the same handling also for these cases., especially in the case >1 bus entries.

Friendly,

Sven Luther