offset x screen

Hello all. I am the proud owner of a powermac 7300 (which uses the `control' video chipset).
Using the  unstable x packages is very strange, as my entire screen is offset to the right.
The part that would be missing is on the left of the screen. Depending on the resolution i set in the config file the offset is about 64, or 32 pixels.
I have discovered a similar effect in fbi (the framebuffer image viewer.) but the offset here is usually in the other direction!
To conserve my precious (16mb) memory, I have compiled my own 2.4 kernel with only control video suport. This might be a contributing factor. x under various flavors of 2.4 gives the same results.
Has anyone else expirienced this problem?
Once I have this problem fixed, evangelisation will be sooo much easier..... _grin_