Re: IBook

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 12:23:26PM +0200, fis wrote:
> Sorry, I´ve just buy an IBook and I´m install Debian, and them problems
> appears with the boot.I just start with the Cd-rom and then  push the
> Tab and then write
> linux noinitrd root=/dev/hda7( Is my root partition)
> and push Enter
> Then Debian start and I´m working now in it,but the mouse is not
> configure and then X do not start.
> Is necesary one particion HFS to run ybin-yaboot?

no, you must have one 800K type Apple_Bootstrap partition for
ybin/yaboot.  you never mount it or manipulate it yourself, only
mkofboot and ybin should have anything to do with it.

> Can I delete all partitions of MAC?

yes

> mac-fdisk say that I can´t delete driver partitions.

its wrong, use the `i' command to delete all partitions.  potato
mac-fdisk is buggy however use woody boot-floppies found at
penguinppc.org/~eb/debian/powerpc/bf-cvs-*

or follow the pototo workaround documented in mac-fdisk-basics (which
you should read anyway) this document is at:

http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

> This is the information of my machine:
> # type name length base ( size ) system
> /dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1 ( 31.5k) Partition map

this is just the wierd way apple partition tables work.

> /dev/hda2Apple_Driver43 Macintosh 54 @ 64 ( 27.0k) Driver 4.3
> /dev/hda3 Apple_Driver43 Macintosh 74 @ 118 ( 37.0k) Driver 4.3
> /dev/hda4 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh 54 @ 192 ( 27.0k) Unknown
> /dev/hda5 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh 74 @ 246 (37.0k) Unknown

crap.

> /dev/hda6 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 250000 @ 320 (122.1M) Linux swap
> /dev/hda7 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /7000000 @ 250320 ( 3.3G) Linux native
> /dev/hda8 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr 7000000 @ 7250320 ( 3.3G) Linux native
> /dev/hda9 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var 3000000 @ 14250320 ( 1.4G) Linux native
> /dev/hda10 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root 1000000@ 17250320 (488.3M) Linux native
> /dev/hda11 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home 1390560 @ 18250320 (679.0M) Linux
> native

you will not be able to create a bootable system due to lack of an
800K type Apple_Bootstrap partition.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/