Re: upgrading testing?

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 03:24:07PM -0700, David J. Roundy wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:51:14PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:34:03PM -0700, Wilhelm Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > > I've noticed for awhile now that pretty much everything in testing is held
> > > back when I go to do an apt-get upgrade.  Today, as an emperiment, I tried
> > > to manually apt-get install libc6 to break through the log jam, and
> > > ulitimately I got this error:
> > >
> > > E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
> > > package libnss-db due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad,
> > > but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> > > E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libnss-db
> > >
> > > Should I go ahead and do as suggested, or am I going to hose my system?
> > >
> > Did you try apt-get dist-upgrade first?
> >
> > when I upgraded to testing I used:
> >
> > apt-get -f dist-upgrade
> >
> > That did everything except for libc6, but that's probably fixed now,
> > as that was a few months back.
>
> I think he wasn't asking about upgrading to testing from stable, but rather
> about a routine upgrade, when he's already running testing.

 No matter: packages get renamed and split in testing, so using
dist-upgrade all the time is a good idea.  upgrade is very
conservative: it will only get new versions of packages you already
have, so it won't pull in new packages that something now depends on,
for example, so that package will be held back forever.

> I have no idea
> what libnss-db does, so I'm afraid I can't give an helpful advice.

 I think it's needed if you have db in /etc/nsswitch.conf: i.e. you
use databases instead of flat files for one of the things
nsswitch.conf configures, e.g. password or group lookups.  (The
database files are still built from /etc/passwd and /etc/group, I
think.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y