Re: upgrading testing?

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 03:24:07PM -0700, David J. Roundy wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:51:14PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:34:03PM -0700, Wilhelm Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > > I've noticed for awhile now that pretty much everything in testing is held
> > > back when I go to do an apt-get upgrade.  Today, as an emperiment, I tried
> > > to manually apt-get install libc6 to break through the log jam, and
> > > ulitimately I got this error:
> > >
> > > E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
> > > package libnss-db due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad,
> > > but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> > > E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libnss-db
> > >
> > > Should I go ahead and do as suggested, or am I going to hose my system?
> > >
> > Did you try apt-get dist-upgrade first?
> >
> > when I upgraded to testing I used:
> >
> > apt-get -f dist-upgrade
> >
> > That did everything except for libc6, but that's probably fixed now,
> > as that was a few months back.
>
> I think he wasn't asking about upgrading to testing from stable, but rather
> about a routine upgrade, when he's already running testing.

Yes, that is what seems to be happening.  I didn't mention that in my

It looks like testing has gone through enough upheaval to require a
dist-upgrade instead of a normal upgrade.

>I have no idea
> what libnss-db does, so I'm afraid I can't give an helpful advice.

IIRC, libnss is used for remote uid to name lookups.  From what I
understand, during the small ammount of time that the lib is
uninstalled, you won't be able to create any new processes that use
this lib and do lookups.

It should be pretty safe on a workstation type machine.  Where there
isn't anything that needs to be working *during* the upgrade.

Mike