Re: /dev/cdrom is missing

/dev/cdrom is not an accual device, it's just a symbolic link to the real
device. If you have an IDE cdrom, the correct decive is /dev/hda, /dev/hdb,
/dev/hdc, or /dev/hdd for the primary master, primary slave, seccondary
master, sec. slave...you get the idea :) If it's scsi, link to /dev/sd?.

Here's the command (as root)

# cd /dev
# ln -s [hdb, hdc, or whatever] cdrom

If you don't know which of those things to use, look at the messages when
your computer boots or run "dmsg | less" or "dmesg | less", i don't remember
which, and the answer is in there, something like this:

hdb: CDROM blah blah