Re: serial printer

> hej,
>
> I'm running debian 2.2r3 on a PowerMac 7300, and am
> trying to get an Apple LaserWriter Select 310 running
> on the serial port.
>
> So far (after several freeze-up, kernel-compiles and
> lots of time), the state is as follows:
> - the serial port on the mac works (tested with a modem)
> - the printer works (using the parallel interface from
>   an intel PC)
> - any output like 'echo "hello printer" >/dev/ttyS0"'
>   to the serial port does not seem to arrive at the
>   printer (the LEDs should blink when receiving data,
>   but they insist on constant-glare(tm))
>
> thus, I suspect that either the serial interface of the
> printer is broken or that I've mis-initialized the
> serial port on the mac.
>
> thus, if anyone has any clues on how to setup the serial
> port (flow control, speed, whatever), has a working
> printcap or anything, please help.
>
> thanks, bye
> Philipp Kaeser / furball@space.ch

I'm pretty sure that's normally an Appletalk printer. You might search the
list archives, I think there's been some discussion in the last few months
about netatalk and other options for printers.

|  .''`.  | Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>            |
| : :'  : | debian-imac:    <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net> |
| `. `'`  |      . oo       Chris Tillman                        |
|   `-    |     (   -)      tillman@azstarnet.com                |