Re: What's the best replacement editor for ae?

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:56:14PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > What small editors are in use on the PowerPC? Is there any editor which
> > is similar to BBedit in respect of the key shortcuts?
>
> better editor then ae... hmm lets see:
>
> echo with redirection
> printf with redirection
> perl with redirection
> head and tail with redirection
> cat
> ed
> emacs
> vi
> nano

don't forget sed and nano-tiny!  Is the controversy over, and
nano-tiny just nano now, or was there a just plain nano all along?
Inquiring minds...

> bbedit is a macos app right?  those never use the keyboard for
> anything and force the horrible mouse on you.  nothing like that in
> GNU/Linux AFAIK.

You're forgetting xedit.  Most people never knew of it in the first
place ~:^)

> for simple GUI editors i would suggest nedit.  for powerful ones i
> suggest xemacs.

If forth, er, lisp isn't your thing, you might try vim-gtk or
vim-perl. Heh.  It even does some of the stuff that emacs has had
for decades.  But I like it.  All the pretty colors....