Re: What's the best replacement editor for ae?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 03:40:37PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:56:14PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > What small editors are in use on the PowerPC? Is there any editor which
> > is similar to BBedit in respect of the key shortcuts?
>
> bbedit is a macos app right?  those never use the keyboard for
> anything and force the horrible mouse on you.  nothing like that in
> GNU/Linux AFAIK.

Actually, it's not usually so bad.  I think bbedit is a text editor much in
the style of emacs, and may even use some emacs bindings.  I used to use
(before installing linux) alpha, which was bbedit's chief competitor, and
alpha had almost all of emacs' key bindings.  Since MacOS doesn't generally
use the Ctrl key, it could have all the standard Mac bindings as well as
the emacs bindings.  :)  It was really weird when I found myself
accidentally typing C-x C-c to exit and finding it worked...

Working under the assumption that bbedit is something like alpha which
shares some key bindings with emacs (as well as some of its philosophy),
I'd recommend trying out emacs (or xemacs).

Emacs has just enough GUI to let you get by with it until you learn the key
bindings.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/