Re: docs on compiling kernels for miboot?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 08:22:40AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> Are you sure it's an elf?  Now you've done it.  I'm going to have to
> fire up the mac to see where I went wrong on this.  Oh, what a
> bother.  I coulda sworn ....

eb@socrates boot-floppies$ ls -l linux*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       867199 Jun 28 06:25 linuxapus
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       888549 Jun 28 06:34 linuxchrp
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1028605 Jun 28 06:43 linuxpmac.coff
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1141274 Jun 28 06:43 linuxpmac.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       731418 Jun 28 06:51 linuxprep
eb@socrates boot-floppies$ file linuxpmac.coff
linuxpmac.coff: executable (RISC System/6000 V3.1) or obj module not stripped
eb@socrates boot-floppies$ zcat linuxpmac.gz > linuxpmac
eb@socrates boot-floppies$ file linuxpmac
linuxpmac: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1, statically linked, not stripped
eb@socrates boot-floppies$

now lets go look at what the miboot script uses again....

eb@socrates boot-floppies$ grep linux powerpc-specials/miBoot/mkboot.sh
hcopy -r linuxpmac.gz :zImage

yup im sure.

> One thing about the OF is that it isn't readily available on some
> machines, like my first pmac, the 7200.  I tried very hard, and
> failed, to get to the OF on that machine, although I have read many
> successes on this list.  I guess I never was able to get the cable
> right.  Anyway, it's a pain, so there is always going to be that one
> person emailing in: "...but I'm on a 7200, and I don't see an OF
> prompt...."  Perhaps we should just say that such machines aren't
> supported anymore, but if you want to take a crack at it, there's
> this old miboot thang, and quik, go knock yourself out.  For a
> couple of months.

woody boot-floppies should make 7200's bootable.

> One thing that makes SILO so sweet is the relatively competent OF
> job that Sun, and it's consultants, did.  I was under the vague

relatively competent?  Sun's OpenBoot/OpenFirmware implementations are GREAT.

> impression that yaboot was the closest to SILO that we could get
> dealing with apple's OF implementation.  I worked next to the same

no its not.  Apple's NewWorld OF is complete enough to have the full
set of silo's features, and there is little reason for a code fork.

silo now has much cleaner filesystem support making it much easier to
drop new filesystems in (without breaking ext2 ahem).  as well as nice
things like transparent gzip support, a working message= variable,
built in ls, and cat commands, tab key completion, etc.

when looking to port these to yaboot i have come to the conclusion
that it would be far simpler to add powerpc support to silo proper
then to spend ages decrufting (read rewriting) yaboot.  basing yaboot
on quik was a good way to get us a quick and dirty working bootloader,
but its not a good thing long term.

> guys that did Sun's OF; they were hired to do
> PowerHouse/FirePower/StarMax's OF implementation, so I suppose that
> some ppc machines have better boot roms than others.

i thought the clones just got thier rom from apple?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/