Re: Problems installing on new iBook dual USB

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:24:48AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> > > mac-fdisk is no longer broken, lets not fix it until it is.
> >
> > I had occassion to experience the broken mac-fdisk not too long
> > ago.  It wasn't all that catastrophic, was it?  I don't need to be
> > Einstein to realize that my 9.1gig disk isn't really 456gig.  Just
>
> that as i have said, is fixed in mac-fdisk 0.1-6 which is in both
> woody and potato-proposed-updates.
>
> > went to /var/log/messages and got the real size and put it in there
> > as an argument.  Worked fine.  I noticed that there was a bug filed
> > against it a long time ago so there was no reason to even bring it
> > up.  That's why they have the capacity argument in there, right?
> > ~:^)  One of those little things that just isn't annoying enough is
> > that it could so easily supply reasonable defaults without you
> > having to do the math yourself all the time, especially the
>
> which it does now.

But of course.

> > "beginning block" argument.  Most people don't use overlapping
> > partitions, except in sparc land, and mac-fdisk probably won't let
> > you anyway, so what's the dileo?  If it was just a little bit more
> > annoying I'd go change it myself.  Time for a nap instead, I think.
>
> every fdisk implementation i have seen let you choose the starting
> block, it makes sense if you for some reason want to leave a `hole' of
> free space on the disk.  unlike apple's useless tools mac-fdisk will
> allow you to do this without silly placeholder partitions.
>
> just use the shortcuts: print the table, look for the Apple_Free where
> you want the next partition to start use its partition number like so:
>
> startblock: 2p
>
> see http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

frtfm I surely should/should have done, but I wasn't able to connect
to the www at the time.  Being allowed to set the starting block
isn't the issue, it's having to actually use one's brain to do the
math of adding the start block to the partition length of the
previous partition that is just so mentally taxing.  I think I'll
download that manual now....