Re: Problems installing on new iBook dual USB

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 09:21:54PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> >
> > I'm pretty sure he corrected bugs on handling of ATA (IDE) disks also, and
>
> mac-fdisk in woody works perfectly with ata disks now that the `i'
> command is fixed.
>
> > other refinements like going to a two-level command scheme (first choose/get
> > info on disks, then choose/get info on partitions for the chosen disk).
>
> what would you need that for?  you select the disk you want to
> partition on the command line: mac-fdisk /dev/hda and all it deals
> with is /dev/hda, as it should.
>
> mac-fdisk is no longer broken, lets not fix it until it is.

I had occassion to experience the broken mac-fdisk not too long
ago.  It wasn't all that catastrophic, was it?  I don't need to be
Einstein to realize that my 9.1gig disk isn't really 456gig.  Just
went to /var/log/messages and got the real size and put it in there
as an argument.  Worked fine.  I noticed that there was a bug filed
against it a long time ago so there was no reason to even bring it
up.  That's why they have the capacity argument in there, right?
~:^)  One of those little things that just isn't annoying enough is
that it could so easily supply reasonable defaults without you
having to do the math yourself all the time, especially the
"beginning block" argument.  Most people don't use overlapping
partitions, except in sparc land, and mac-fdisk probably won't let
you anyway, so what's the dileo?  If it was just a little bit more
annoying I'd go change it myself.  Time for a nap instead, I think.