Re: Problems installing on new iBook dual USB

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 03:36:40PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:24:48AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> > ~:^)  One of those little things that just isn't annoying enough is
> > that it could so easily supply reasonable defaults without you
> > having to do the math yourself all the time, especially the
> > "beginning block" argument.  Most people don't use overlapping
> > partitions, except in sparc land, and mac-fdisk probably won't let
> > you anyway, so what's the dileo?  If it was just a little bit more
> > annoying I'd go change it myself.  Time for a nap instead, I think.
> >

> There are aliases that you can use for the begining number and length.
> The problem is that it doesn't try to tell you about those aliases at
> all.  That should be fixed.

niether does x86 fdisk, but nobody actually calculates cylinders when
partitioning thier disk, they use the +30m shortcuts, which they found
by rtfm.

the fm is here: http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

fwiw mac-fdisk does mention the 500m 800k and such shortcuts for the
length argument.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/