Re: glibc 2.1.13-17 and kernel headers

Ethan Benson wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 10:01:37PM +0800, Kin Chung wrote:
[snip]
what security problem?  add potato r3 has all the current libc
security fixes. or is there a new one im not aware of?

Oops.  I'm running r2 and there was a security alert in April
for glibc 2.1.3-x, for some x < 17.  I guess I should have mentioned
that earlier :-(.

[snip]

if you have to ask these questions i think you should not be compiling
libc.
[more snippage]

Perhaps, but then I would not be able to do some of the things that
I do want to.  Besides, it is helpful to my learning more about Linux.
Mostly, I would like to have some idea about how much risk I am taking.
The documentation in my /usr/doc/ is not particularly helpful as it
merely points to the existence of conflict about policy, and it is six
months old.  If there is a policy, I do want to know, so I know if I
am about to break policy, before I break it.

I do know that since I plan to recompile everything else as well, I
don't expect too many strange header mismatch errors.

Cheers,

Kin Hoong