Re: PPPoE and boot floppies

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:12:58AM +0300, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
> Do we still use the base .tar.gz of the bare bones system? I remember
> fetching that into my macos partition and doing the base install using it -
> it contains dpkg and a functional base system so you should be able to
> install everything else after that?

no as i have said over and over again there is NO base tarball.  the
bootfloppies run a program called `debootstrap' which downloads all
the packages that used to be installed in the base tarball and
forcably installs them into /target.

that means you must install base over network or cdrom, it sucks and its
probably not going to be fixed, its not boot-floppies fault its
debootstrap's fault, bug its maintainer.  (don't expect anything to
come from it).

> In my case I even had problems booting with the floppy images (since Pismo
> has no floppy drive, and there was no bootable CD for ppc at the time I
> could find) - So I just untarred the base .tgz into a new partition, removed
> /sbin/unconfigured.sh and off I went booting from that. Needless to say I
> did a LOT of "stuff breaks and you fix it" -work... Not recommended. :-P

that is not possible anymore

> Is it possible for you to burn a bootable CD somewhere? That could be
> another option as well. (Do those work on oldworlds?)

get the cvs version of debian-cd, i beleive i have fixed it to make
bootable (only on newworld powermacs) CDs of woody (and maybe sid).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/