Re: PPPoE and boot floppies

Okay, so what am I going to do to get a network install going? Someone
on another list mentioned that there is a module for pppoe, but my
understanding of this is that it's for the 2.4 kernel. If there is no
solution to the pppoe problem I've got, I will say "failure" to the
current incarnation of woody boot-floppies (not that it amounts to
much). I'm not going to be able to change DSL providers for the near
future, so that isn't an option. I also spoke to them about the pppoe
requirement, but I'm not going to run out and buy a router to get around
this, either.

Another question: why do the boot-floppies have to be 1.44 MB? If they
aren't tied to the physical medium any more, there really isn't a limit
as to how big they should be, right?

With debootstrap, is it possible that I could create a "mirror" or
simple archive of all the stuff debootstrap is going to d/l before I
boot into the b-f? That way I can get a mostly functioning system from a
local drive, install my pppoe software, get connected to the net, then
d/l everything else...

I've also thought of d/l an ISO of woody, but there aren't any. They
require rsync, which I don't think there is a mac version of that will
do. This part of my problem anyway: I'm in the Mac OS to get everything
I need as it is. So, getting an up-to-date cd image from which I can
create a local "mirror" (aka copy everything from the cd image to my
local drive) isn't going to be easy.

Russell
I don't care if you're going nowhere,
Just take good care of the world.