Re: PPPoE and boot floppies

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 02:57:17PM -0800, thus said Ethan Benson:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 12:43:24PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> >
> > So, what I want to do is take the binary that was created in my fully
> > installed system, pack it up using tar, and then transport it to my
> > new-install system, so I can be in the ramdisk, and then untar it so
> > that it works, and I can connect to the 'net, and complete my install.
>
> like i said, i doubt this would work because the libc on the ramdisk
> is reduced, its not full libc.  not even hfsutils will run off of it
> among other things.
>
> > I just don't know how to collect everything I need to make sure the
> > binary works on the ramdisk. Anyone got any ideas on how to do this?
>
> dpkg -L pppoe
> dpkg -s pppoe | gpep ^Depends
>
> you need everything not in /usr/share/doc for every package it depends
> on.  and probably a real libc.  will that fit on the root disk? no.

Do we still use the base .tar.gz of the bare bones system? I remember
fetching that into my macos partition and doing the base install using it -
it contains dpkg and a functional base system so you should be able to
install everything else after that?

In my case I even had problems booting with the floppy images (since Pismo
has no floppy drive, and there was no bootable CD for ppc at the time I
could find) - So I just untarred the base .tgz into a new partition, removed
/sbin/unconfigured.sh and off I went booting from that. Needless to say I
did a LOT of "stuff breaks and you fix it" -work... Not recommended. :-P

Is it possible for you to burn a bootable CD somewhere? That could be
another option as well. (Do those work on oldworlds?)

Tuomas

--

.--->  tigert@ximian.com        .    |\,/|          tigert@gimp.org  <-----.
+---->  www.ximian.com         -  ()-@@  ,           tigert.gimp.org  <----+