SCSI I/O errors galore

Hi all!
I just moved up in the world from Debian on a 68000 machine to potato on an
Old World PowerPC Mac.
My install went well and the setup is pretty straight-forward. However, when
I'm doing a large file copy from one Mac to the Debian box via SAMBA (and
FTP too!) the collision lights on my hubs go nuts and the Debian machine's
monitor fills up with line after line of SCSI I/O error messages.
The error messages look something like this:

scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:08 , sector 298272

host  0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0 return code 6000000

MACHINE CHECK IN KERNEL (regs at cd3bfd40 mode)

I'm confident the disk is fine, after all, each partition was block checked
and I've been able to load it up with software via ftp without complaint.

My disk is partitioned into 3 filesystems (/, var, opt) and disk sleeping
isn't an issue.

Can anyone suggest a starting point for my investigation?

--
Jamie Hutt
Basement dweller, huttstuff.com