Re: New iBook and Debian

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 03:35:42AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 09:28:02PM +1200, James Tyson wrote:
> >
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I just ordered one of the nice new 2001 iBooks - the 128Mb/DVD version to
> > be exact.
> > Are there any Gotcha's that I should know about with this box? What
> > hardware is supported, and what's not, etc?
[snip]
> as for hardware support im not sure how 2.2.19 likes them, i think it
> probably won't care for the video so you will need to add video=ofonly
> at the yaboot prompt when you boot the CD. (potato r3 CDs should
> boot).

This is needed.  Hopefully woody's boot-floppies will have the patch I put up
so that video is detected properly.

> ill let others comment on things such as kernel issues and X11.

_If_ you use BenH's 2.4 rsync, sleep works w/o few gotchas.  If you have
airport up & running and want to sleep, search the archive for the bit of
scripting you should put in /etc/power/pwrctl.local so that airport gets
turned off.  potato's X works fine, iirc.  4.0.x in woody worked great too
and the 4.1.0 debs in testing work fine, w/ a minor issue on scrolling
(possibly in 4.0.x if you use the r128 driver instead of fbdev).

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/