Re: Did I produce a brick of my PPC8200?

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 12:52:42AM +0200, Sven Lankes wrote:
> And then: nothing. The screen stays blank. I guess that
> it hangs in the OF-Prompt which I cannot see because
> it's a 7200/8200 which cannot display the OF on the screen
> (this is just sick!).

this should work on a 7200 class machine.

> I'll try to find a cable to connect the mac-serial
> and my i386 debian-box. Maybe that will give some
> more information.

you will have to do this, there is no way to guess what the problem is
without seeing what OF is saying.

> Any more hints on what else to try?

get a serial terminal.

> BTW: If I find a macos cd somewhere and if I install
> macos on the powermac, can I choose to create a real
> small macos partition so that I just install bootx
> on it? Or does macos grab the complete hd and if
> so is it possible to shrink the partition afterwards?

macos requires that you erase the entire disk, but it will allow you
to choose the size of the partition you create for it.

macos requires a dozen cruft partitions to hold its drivers, it won't
create those without erasing the entire disk.

before you pollute your system with wasteful macos cruft i would
suggest getting a coff format kernel, copying it to an hfs floppy (dd
if=/dev/zero it first, make sure its totally clean, then hformat -l
boot /dev/fd0, hmount /dev/fd0, hcopy -r vmlinux.coff :, humount.)
then set OF to the following:

boot-device fd:vmlinux.coff (you may try some varents of fd: im not
sure if its fd:vmlinux.coff or fd:,vmlinux.coff).

boot-file ' root=/dev/sda3'  ## does that work on coff kernels?
           ^ note the space.

then try booting with the floppy in the drive.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/