Re: woody apt-get dist-upgrade problem

Alan Macdougall wrote:

> On 3/6/01 at 2:16 PM, Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick <rafial@well.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I had a similar problem awhile ago going from
> > potato r2 to woody.  In my case, I was able to
> > solve it by using apt-get install dpkg to force
> > dpkg to upgrade first, and then once I did that,
> > apt-get dist-upgrade seemed to be able to
> > proceed okay.
>
> Hmmm - I gave this a try, but it didn't work - I continued to get the
> same error as previously.
>
> I tried just a plain apt-get upgrade as well, but this has caused lots
> of other problems (eg, X doesn't work now, there's also some failed
> dependencies like gnome-core appearing to depend on a version of
> libcapplet0 that doesn't exist yet) and I think I might retreat to 2.2r3
> until I understand things a bit better.

But the GNOME there is ooold and ugly...

GNOME in testing/unstable is a mess for us because there are versioned
inter-dependencies between arch-dependant and arch-independant packages and
our autobuilder can't keep up with the pace of uploaded new versions.
gnome-panel and gnome-panel-data is probably the most famous and horrible
example.

What I do is this: I have both testing and unstable lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list, and my /etc/apt/apt.conf contains the line

APT::Default-Release "testing";

which makes testing the default distribution to install packages from. To get
packages from unstable if required, there are two ways: Either append the
distribution to a package with a slash, e.g. gnome-panel/unstable, or use -t
unstable after apt-get. The former will get only that package from unstable
while the latter will get all listed packages and their dependants from there.

Depending on the GNOME brokenness du jour, I have to mix'n'match these two
methods to be able to install/upgrade.

Hope this is comprehensive and useful...