Re: X screen blanking strangeness

Duncan Sands wrote:

> I'm running X 4.0.3 on an 8500 powermac (kernel 2.4).

What driver, I assume fbdev? What framebuffer device?

> If I leave the computer alone, after a while the screen goes blank.  Normal!
> But not everything blanks: the clock for instance keeps being drawn,
> leaving a black screen with a clock on it.

What depth? The fbdev driver used to set the colormap to blank the screen at
least in depth 8, it could be that your framebuffer device doesn't fully
support that.

> If I wait longer, eventually everything goes black, even the clock.

That could be DPMS kicking in?

This is a bit more than my average dose of speculation... :)

The XFree86 4.1.0 has much better blanking and DPMS support so I'd be curious
how that would do.