Re: startup jingle

> If you still have MacOS, this may work:
>
>       http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,MC13222,.html
>
> It says it doesn't work on all models.
> I think the ULAW of the arpeggio is actually in the hardware.
>
> The problem with disabling the arpeggio is that it is supposed to indicate
> that the system is functioning correctly. Most computers beep or something
> when they start up to indicate they have POSTed correctly. To disable this
> could potentially limit your ability to diagnose problems... which is prob.
> why Apple doesn't make it any easier.

The volume of the startup sound is stored in the ROM but is controlled
by the sound level which is stored in the PRAM. QuietStart simply sets
this value lower during shutdown and up again during startup (of course
after the startup sound). The value could be choosen during the loading
of this extension while pressing a numeric key. Default value is 3 the
range goes from 0..9, so you actually can make the startup sound louder
if you like ;-) . I've set my value to 1 but I'm always shocked when I
reboot after my Mac crashed.

O. Wyss