Re: Boot questions: Power Computing PowerWave / Sonnet

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 03:15:59PM -0400, Keith Dawson wrote:

> The problem of the moment is that the boot process hangs (or rather,
> loops indefinitely) at statement:
>
>     INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> Any idea idea what causes this and how to fix it?

what version of boot-floppies are you using?

>   7.17  Make Linux Bootable Directly From Hard Disk
>
>          At first I tried defining a separate boot partition. Under
>          this condition, step 7.17 always gave the error "Installing
>          QUIK is not yet possible for Debian/PowerPC". I tried without
>          a separate boot partition (the install created the directory
>          /boot under /template) and the error went away -- QUIK
>          programs and data now exist on the unfinished system.
>
>          But is Quik used at all in an environment where BootX controls
>          booting?

potato boot floppies don't say `installing quik is impossible..' (i
just checked that with r3 bootfloppies, even on a newworld where quik
will never work it happily installed quik) it installs quik.  the
unstable, broken development only woody bootfloppies however DO say
installing quik is not yet possible.  you aren't using woody
bootfloppies somehow are you?  if so stop they are not ready for
normal users/installs only experts willing to fix code and such.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/