2.4.5-pre3 hangs (was Re: reiserfs empirical stu)

Peter Cordes wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 04:50:57PM +0000, Cameron Berkenpas wrote:
> > I thought you might find this info relevant.
> >
> > I'm running a starmax 4000/200 with 80 megs of ram and a 200 mhz 604e.
> > I also run kernel 2.4.4-pre6 and I've been up for 9 days now.
> > Before this, I was up for about 25 days. I rebooted when I rebuilt my
> > kernel to upgrade as well as to add in a feature I wanted.
> >
> > So far the 2.4 series has been rather stable for me for pc and ppc (I just
> > have a hard time building a working kernel on ppc). I've never had an
> > unexplained crash
> > (that is, when I can build a 2.4 kernel that boots.). In fact, now that I
> > think about it, I don't think I've ever had a crash, using 2.2 or 2.4..
>
>  I've seen lots of crashes with SMP.  I think the worst was the most recent
> benh kernel (2.4.5-pre3) I tried the other day.  It hung before the
> filesystem even got mounted read-write!  The benh kernel I tried before that
> was not so unstable.  The most stable SMP kernel I've found yet is
> 2.4.3-pre2 from the bk tree.  It doesn't crash very often (but it does
> crash, especially if I leave it running a distributed.net client on all four
> CPUs).  OTOH, it's been up for at least three days in a row, and I've build
> XFree86 from CVS source on it without a single crash.  maybe dnetc overheats
> it...
>
>  Anyway, Ben H., if you're listening, your 2.4.5-pre3 crashes a lot more
> than previous kernels (e.g. 2.4.4 from your tree, or 2.4.4-pre1 or -pre3

It's really got a specific symptomology.  I am almost tempted to say
it has something to do with powersaving/sleeping, as it only happens
when the system is idle, virtually always when the video is off
(although it runs for hours with the video off when I'm keeping it
busy) and like that.  Of course I don't have any of the powerbook
power saving turned on or anything, but something is strange because
the way it hangs is so specific.  It locked on me last night about
50 times, I was about to pull my hair out.  I just had to remember
to type `sync' any time I was going to leave it alone for more than
a minute, assuming it wasn't compiling a kernel or something.