Re: Stuck on install of 7600/120

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 03:45:38PM -0500, Michael Shuey wrote:
> Okay, I'm stumped.  I've got a Mac 7600/120 with two disks, a 1.2 GB MacOS
> 8.x disk and a 2.0 GB empty disk (not an apple, but with a Mac partition
> label and driver partition).  The MacOS disk is ID 1 and the other is at
> ID 5.  There's a CD drive at ID 3.  The floppy disk install worked fine; now
> I've got a set of Linux partitions on the 2 gig disk.  However, I can't boot
> to it.

of course...

> I picked "make bootable directly from hard drive" in the Debian installer

read the installation docs, its clearly stated that this step is
broken and cannot work on its own.

> and it ran quik.  This doesn't seem to help; it still boots to MacOS.  I

thats because the OF boot-device is not set by that step.

> used the boot floppies to re-run quik; the installer had put /vmlinuz in
> quik.conf, which doesn't exist.  /vmlinux exists and is a symlink to
> /boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 (which also exists).  Unfortunately, neither of those
> work; changing quik.conf and re-running quik doesn't make it boot into Linux.

there is no vmlinuz on powermac, no powermac bootloader supports
compressed images, we just use the plain uncompressed ELF for now.

you should however fix your /etc/quik.conf to point directly at the
real image file, quik does not support symlinks.

> Is there a way to get this to boot (preferably unattended & headless) to
> Linux?  I'd try BootX, but either the version on ftp.debian.org is corrupt
> (no resource fork???) or my MacOS netscape is seriously screwing up the
> transfer.  I'd prefer not to use BootX anyway, since I'd like to get rid of
> MacOS completely.  Am I missing something with quik?  Is there another
> booloader I can use?

read the install docs, but here is the hint and a workaround for
potato's broken ofpath:

you need to setup OF's boot-device variable at the very least, to do
that run:

ofpath /dev/sdb (or /sda or whatever the root disk is)

take its output and append a single 0 (zero) to it

so:

$ ofpath /dev/sda
/bandit/gc/mesh/sd@0:

you change to:

/bandit/gc/mesh/sd@0:0

then take that string and give it to nvsetenv:

nvsetenv boot-device /bandit/gc/mesh/sd@0:0

that MIGHT work, oldworld OF requires a lot of witchcraft to make
boot most of the time...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/