Re: RS/6000 won't boot

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 05:56:45PM -0500, pstrauss@ln.us.itmasters.com wrote:
> Using yaboot/ybin 1.1 I cannot get my rs/6000 to boot from anything other
> than the rescue floppy.
>
> ybin reports success on installing yaboot.  I don't know else I could be
> missing here.  I guess my yaboot.conf could be wrong but I don't know what
> kind of results I would see if this were the case.  The box just keeps
> going through the boot options onto BOOTP.  I think I would see some
> errors. mkofboot seems to work....
>
> My best guess right now is that I can't get the box to recognized
> /dev/sda1 as a bootable device.

AFAIK it must be type 0x41 and be marked bootable in the partition
table (that part might not matter..)

> Does anyone know what I need to do?

note that my precompiled yaboot might not be compatible with RS/6000
the optimization could be f00king it up.  try compiling a yaboot
binary from the yaboot sources (penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/yaboot)
i distribute it without the makefile diff applied.

make && make install

then change install=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/yaboot rerun ybin and try
again.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/