Re: Mpeg video player

On 23 May 2001 13:23:10 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Mark Nellemann wrote:
>
> > I installed the libsmpeg and the smpeg-xmms packages. XMMS plays all my
> > mpeg's perfectly now!
> >
> > What about DivX and DVD's? Anyone got a tip?
>
> For DVD, you can try my Xine packages:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/xine/
>
> or VLC from drjones.dk . Beware that neither gives smooth playback yet.
>

> For DivX, we're out of luck I'm afraid. I've been trying in vain to get
> OpenDivX working, and even if it worked it wouldn't play all the DivX movies
> available. For those you need Win32 codecs.

I managed to get it to somewhat work in February. The only problem was
compiling XMPS. I removed the flags "-DHAVE_MMX -DHAVE_2Dnow -DARCH_X86"
from codecs/video/mpeg3/Makefile.am

It was locking up quite often, but I was able to play the example videos
from the site. And obviously didn't play any Windows DivX movies.
You might have more luck using MOL and the hacked Microsoft Media
Player, I didn't try that though.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera