Re: GNU/Linux, NetBSD and Mac OS X

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Cameron Berkenpas wrote:

> OS X supports UFS? Which UFS? As in FFS (which open/net/free use)? That's
> pretty cool but I figured OS X would have some nifty brand new filesystem.

Apple's "nifty brand new filesystem" is HFS+, which they have made the
default on all MacOS 9/ X installations.

However, OS X also supports the UFS filesystem of its NeXTSTEP ancestry.
This shares common UFS ancestry with the Berkeley FFS, but is not fully
compatible. See below...

> Linux can mount UFS/FFS partitions, and read-write support is
> available. But I STRONGLY suggest mounting FFS/UFS partitions
> read-only, you can damage the filesystem, and in fact, I have. I've
> not damaged a BSD file system, though, if I open a file in a text
> editor it tends to corrupt the file (like half the file will be gone).
> I have killed solaris filesystems through linux though... Which is of
> course a UFS, and I don't know really much at all about OS X's file
> system. You've been warned.

Not all UFS/FFS are equal. The Linux kernel docs have some info at
Documentation/filesystems/ufs.txt:

<http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/filesystems/ufs.txt?v=2.4.4>