Re: GNU/Linux, NetBSD and Mac OS X

OS X supports UFS? Which UFS? As in FFS (which open/net/free use)? That's
pretty cool but I figured OS X would have some nifty brand new filesystem.

And no, NetBSD can't use ext2fs as /. Using ext2fs for /home is a good
idea, I use it on my system with Linux and FreeBSD. Only problem is that
FreeBSD can't fsck ext2fs but I think NetBSD can (I haven't gotten NetBSD
to mount any non-bsd partitions yet, I could probably get it too, but I
don't have the time to mess with it yet). Well, I at least know for sure
that NetBSD supports ext2.

HFS support in linux doesn't seem too bad, though I keep my macos
partition
mounted read-only unless I must write to it for some reason. I had a BAD
experience where linux messed up an hfs partition but this was back with a
2.0 kernel and I believe hfs support was refined quite a bit in the 2.2
series and here we are at 2.4. And I have worked with my HFS partition
somewhat with read/write using 2.2 kernels and 2.4 with no trouble at all.

Linux can mount UFS/FFS partitions, and read-write support is
available. But I STRONGLY suggest mounting FFS/UFS partitions read-only,
you can damage the filesystem, and in fact, I have. I've not damaged a
BSD file system, though, if I open a file in a text editor it tends to
corrupt the file (like half the file will be gone). I have killed solaris
filesystems through linux though... Which is of course a UFS, and I don't
know really much at all about OS X's file system. You've been warned.

Hope that info was helpful.

-Cameron