Re: basic installation on 7200/75 (still)

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 06:45:26PM +0200, morten wrote:
> >> I'm installaing on a powerpc 7200/75
> >> I'm installing debian potato using a network installation
> >> I install everything and just before rebooting I do...
> >>
> >> # ofpath
> >> /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:
> >>
> >> I change /target/etc/quik.conf to include the line
> >> image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19
> >>
> >> # mount -t proc proc /taget/proc
> >> # chroot /target /sbin/quik -fv
> >> which tells me it installs quik on /dev/sda2
> >>
> >> #ntsetenv boot-device /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:0
> >>
> >> after which I reboot.
> >> It gives me the startup-sound *twice*
> which I now know means that it has detected a change in the nvram, which is ok.
>
> > I've installed potato on a 7200/75, and you've made it past the hard
> > part.  I would suggest reading the entire man page for nvsetenv
> > because there are additional changes to the nvram that might solve
> > your problem, including a different boot-command.
> do you have a link to the man pages?

No man page, read in the archives the thread:
BootX & Booting without keyboard/monitor

And look for my message marked "success!"

That will give you the necisary boot command.  This tells OF to keep reading
the disk until it has spun up.

> I did
> # nvsetenv boot-command
> boot
> # nvsetenv boot-device
> /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:0
> # nvsetenv boot-file
> <nothing ..>
> # nvsetenv input-device
> ttya
> # nvsetenv output-device
> ttysa

try ttya

> To me it looks like I lack something in the boot-file entry.
> I also tried the
> # nvsetenv boot-command "begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"
> from the script attached to one the emails, but the result was the same.
>
> does anyone see the light?
> morten

Can you attach a serial line to another comp to read the output?  There
isn't really much you can do unless you can see what that says.

If you only have one comp, you may be stuck with installing MacOS and using
bootx.  If you choose that route, I have another script that will help you
when you want to update your kernel :)

I'd suggest sticking with quik though.  I went the route of bootx and macOS
won't startup without a monitor and my headless machines wouldn't boot after
I put it in place :(  I'm converting all of my 7200s over to quik now.  This
only seems to be on 7200 though, as bootx will work on a 7300 headless.

Mike