Re: how to upgrade modutils

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:56:28PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> Thanks, guys.
>
> The install thing was probably on the right track, but didn't do
> anything either, except give me an error message which I probably
> deserved.  All the other stuff (messing with sources.list) was way
> too complicated, so I just downloaded the source and built it on my
> machine.  Duh.  It was quite easy.  Kind of like being back in
> freebsd land. ~:^) I don't think this is what I did on the other
> machine, but then if I could remember what I did, I wouldn't be
> having this conversation.

the best suggestion was download the source and built it yourself, however you
missed thje point, what you should do is download the debian source and build
your own deb package, it really is easy.

ftp the latest modutils from a debian mirror in /debian/pool/main/m/modutils
also grab the diff file, untar, apply the diff, chmod 755 debian/rules and
then type dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot and a few minutes later you have a nice
shiny deb of the latest modutils ocmpiled and working for potato, this is what
I do on all my x86 and ppc boxen as they are all mostly potato.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/