Problems with limited numbers of partitions

In another thread related to ReiserFS, it has been mentioned
that it is a good idea to put various items in their own partitions
or even discs!  This is fine if you have lots of discs or partitions
handy.

On my iBook, I have theoretically got up to 15 partitions
(is it possible to have 16 if only the Mac stuff goes in there?),
but the first 8 are taken up by MacOS rubbish (removal is not an
option at this stage), so I am left with 7. If I use 2 for MacOS 9.0.4,
then I have only 5 left, of which two are used for bootstrap and
swap.  Now I am left with a mere three partitions.  Not much room!

Is it safe or reasonable to put a swap file in the bootstrap partition?
I think security could be maintained by mounting (I don't know of
any way of using a swap file without mounting the partition) inside
of a suitably protected directory, and the partition would probably
want to be mounted synchronised, but I would like to know if there
are any problems with this idea.

I could reduce MacOS to one partition, but the thing needs a theraputic
re-install so often that this might not be too brilliant an idea.

Other suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Kin Hoong