Re: ofpath, please test

On  17 May, this message from Ethan Benson echoed through cyberspace:
> On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 07:47:56PM +0200, Michel Lanners wrote:
>> Here you are for my 7600/132; one internal SCSI disk, one internal IDE
>> disk on a Promise  Ultra/66:

[snip]

>> [mlan@piglet ~]$ ofpath /dev/sdc|od -a
>> ofpath: /dev/sdc: Device not configured
>> 0000000
>> [mlan@piglet ~]$ ofpath /dev/hda|od -a
>> ofpath: Unsupported device: /dev/hda
>> 0000000
>
> i assume this is the add on promise card?  finding the path to this is
> probably non-trivial, and likly impossible if you boot via BootX.

Sure, since there's no FCODE in there (i386 board), it's unbootable
anyway.... Just wanted to see what it spits out ;-)

>> What doesn't look so good is that it gives a path for /dev/sdb (but
>> there's no such device).
>
> the scsi detection stuff is a huge kludge. can you send me the
> contents of /proc/scsi/scsi and /proc/partitions ?

[mlan@piglet ~]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: DCAS-34330       Rev: S65A
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-ROM CR-8008   Rev: 8.0e
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

[mlan@piglet ~]$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0    4233600 sda
   8     1         50 sda1
   8     2        512 sda2
   8     3         60 sda3
   8     4     153600 sda4
   8     5      65536 sda5
   8     6     307200 sda6
   8     7     307200 sda7
   8     8     102400 sda8
   8     9     512000 sda9
   8    10     307200 sda10
   8    11     512000 sda11
   8    12    1048576 sda12
   8    13     256000 sda13
   8    14     661265 sda14
   3     0    9873360 hda
   3     1          1 hda1
   3     5     102753 hda5
   3     6     768064 hda6
   3     7     102784 hda7
   3     8     256504 hda8
   3     9     512032 hda9
   3    10     102784 hda10
   3    11     768064 hda11
   3    12     256000 hda12
   3    13     256000 hda13
   3    14    1048288 hda14
   3    15     256000 hda15
   3    16     409720 hda16
   3    17     409720 hda17
   3    18    4624168 hda18

> what disks do you really have?

See /proc/scsi/scsi above. Exactly one SCSI, one IDE, plus the cdrom.

> for a 7200 i assume the internal scsi
> hard disk and a scsi CDROM, so you should have at least /dev/sda and
> /dev/sdb no?

Well I suppose it mistakes the cdrom for sdb; it probably shouldn't,
since there is no second SCSI disk....

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |