Re: ofpath, please test

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 07:47:56PM +0200, Michel Lanners wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On  17 May, this message from Ethan Benson echoed through cyberspace:
> > even if you don't use quik if you have an oldworld please test this to
> > 1) make sure it works correctly, and 2) that it does not output any
> > garbage in the returned path.
>
> Here aou are for my 7600/132; one internal SCSI disk, one internal IDE
> disk on a Promise  Ultra/66:
>
> [mlan@piglet ~]$ ofpath /dev/sda8|od -a
> 0000000   /   b   a   n   d   i   t   /   g   c   /   m   e   s   h   /
> 0000020   s   d   @   1   :   8  nl
> 0000027
> [mlan@piglet ~]$ ofpath /dev/sda|od -a
> 0000000   /   b   a   n   d   i   t   /   g   c   /   m   e   s   h   /
> 0000020   s   d   @   1   :  nl
> 0000026
> [mlan@piglet ~]$ ofpath /dev/sdb|od -a
> 0000000   /   b   a   n   d   i   t   /   g   c   /   m   e   s   h   /
> 0000020   s   d   @   :  nl
> 0000025

looks ok.

> [mlan@piglet ~]$ ofpath /dev/sdc|od -a
> ofpath: /dev/sdc: Device not configured
> 0000000
> [mlan@piglet ~]$ ofpath /dev/hda|od -a
> ofpath: Unsupported device: /dev/hda
> 0000000

i assume this is the add on promise card?  finding the path to this is
probably non-trivial, and likly impossible if you boot via BootX.
(MacOS trashes the device tree too much).  and if you already booted
via OF you probably already know the device path anyway..

> What doesn't look so good is that it gives a path for /dev/sdb (but
> there's no such device).

the scsi detection stuff is a huge kludge. can you send me the
contents of /proc/scsi/scsi and /proc/partitions ?

what disks do you really have?  for a 7200 i assume the internal scsi
hard disk and a scsi CDROM, so you should have at least /dev/sda and
/dev/sdb no?

> Also, I don't know what the expected answer is re. partitions; it sems
> to give a valid partition number, though I don't know whether using that
> would work in OF 1.0.5....

the partition number is whatever you asked it to find, so if you ask
for the device to /dev/sda1 it will return partition 1, sda2 ->
partition 2 etc.  as far as whats supported in OF i think thats a
documentation issue

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/